Homemade baby wipes can be a fun and cost-effective way to clean your little ones big messes. Not only will it save you money but homemade baby wipes can be customized to match your baby’s skin. You can alter the recipes if your child has sensitive skin or reacts in a bad way to any ingredients. The best part about homemade baby wipes is that they don’t contain all the chemicals in commercial products and you know exactly what in going into them.
Instructions to Make Your Own Homemade Baby Wipes
You want to use a paper towel that can absorb well but is also strong enough to not fall apart when it gets wet. Try the kind that let you choose the size you want as well. They make for better wipes. I like the Sparkle brand for the price and the quality. Check out Amazon.com to buy in bulk since you need paper towels for normal household stuff as it is.
- You are going to need to cut the roll of paper towels in half before you can start. Make sure to use a sharp enough knife to get through the cardboard and the paper towels. Do not remove the cardboard inside yet.
- If you are using an old wipes container, simply pile the paper towels into the container in an accordion style. Just zig-zag the paper towels back and forth in the container until you run out. One roll of paper towels fits perfectly oncetheyare cut in half. You may have to hold your hand on them as you do this since they like to spring out of the container.
- If you want to put them in more of a canister type container, just put the half roll of paper towels in with the cut side down. Removing thecardboardcan be a little tricky since the last paper towel is kind of glued to it. You may have to wedge your fingers in there and get the cardboard loose first. Remove the cardboard inside and start to pull a piece of the paper towel from the inside. This will get your wipes going and you can just grab and tear on the perforated lines.
- Pour your solution into the container and let it soak through all the paper towels before use. This is fairly quick and your can use your wipes within 5 minutes.
Pull the first wipe up through the opening and you’re done. That’s it! It’s very quick and easy. The whole process takes 5 minutes, if it even takes that long. Just follow one of the solution recipes and you’re ready to go.
Homemade Baby Wipes Solution
There are plenty of different variations of baby wipes solution when you are making them yourself. You can add different stuff for pretty smells, stick with all natural ingredients and plenty of other different options. Here are just a few of my favorite recipes for whipping up homemade baby wipes.
No matter which recipe you choose, make sure you mix the ingredient well in a separate container before adding them to your wipes to evenly distribute all parts. However, mix them gently so you don’t cause suds and bubbles.
Vitamin E & Essential Oils Solution
- 2 Cups Water
- 2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
- 2 Drops Pure Essential Lavender Oil
- 2 Drops Chamomile Oil
- 1 Capsule Vitamin E
Cut open or poke a small hole in the Vitamin E capsule and squeeze the contents into the water. Add all of your oils and mix well. I love the addition of Lavender Oil since it is very soothing for babies. My daughter always fell right to sleep when I slathered her up with lavender lotion.
I buy my ingredients on Amazon since I can sit at my computer and compare prices for hours without people looking at me funny. ; ) Below are the prices I found the most beneficial.
Aloe Vera Solution
- 1/4 Cup Aloe Vera Gel
- 2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
- 2 Cups Hot Water
The hot water is necessary to get the Aloe, oil and water to mix properly. Mix all ingredients together well and do not use until the solution has cooled off completely. This one is great for those sensitive booties.
Basic Homemade Baby Wipes Solution
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tsp Baby Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Baby Shampoo or Body Wash
The best part about this recipe is you most likely already have these ingredients around the house. Just mix them together well and your done making the solution.
Homemade Baby Wipe Storage
There are a couple different ways you can store and use your homemade baby wipes and solution.
- You can submerge your wipes in the solution in an old wipes box or in a canister that has a lid. They will stay wet and you can grab and go. These two methods were described in the instructions above.
- You can put the solution in a spray bottle and keep the paper towels separate. Just spray the solution on your wipe when you are ready to change your baby.
I prefer having the wipes already in the solution so it is one less thing to do when you’re changing a squirming baby or toddler.
Homemade Cloth Baby Wipes Option
If you would rather stay away from more paper products ending up in a land fill, you can make your own homemade cloth baby wipes as well. If you are already using cloth diapers, it is very easy to make the switch to cloth wipes.
- If you have any plain t-shirts around the house that you never wear, you can use these. If not, you can go out and buy some basic white Hanes or Fruit of the Loom t-shirts. Try to get the largest size for the most bang for your buck.
- Tear or cut up the t-shirt into about 6 inch by 6 inch square pieces. These will serve as your wipes.
- Choose and mix together a wipe solution from above.
- Decide if you want pre-soaked wipes or a spray bottle and dry wipes.
- Putting them in an old wipe container or even a Ziploc bag is a good choice for pre-soaked wipes. This way you can easily throw them in your diaper bag and go. Just make sure you have another bag handy for the used cloth wipes.